Sunday 4 March 2007

Investing in Newton Abbot

A warm, wet and busy week - but a very successful one! I have found a house in Newton Abbot to buy which will put me at the heart of things. It has been a long search but with a very worthwhile result. The average purchase takes three months - so I should be moving in late May or early June. In the meantime I have found a cottage in Coffinswell to rent from the middle of March. This week I spent some time in Westminster meeting with Members of Parliament from other parts of the South West. We have a number of common issues across the West Country -together we have a much more powerful voice!

One of the issues I have been exploring is how we can attract new businesses to invest in Newton Abbot not just to create new jobs, but to create a greater variety of jobs outside retail and tourism. That way we will have more to offer our young people to stop them leaving and may even be able to attract those who have left, back. A technology company might be one answer. I am exploring this and other ideas with friends and former colleagues in London. But I don't have a monopoly on good ideas - I would very much like to hear from you with your ideas! Together we can and must regenerate Newton Abbot and reduce the huge and quite unacceptable gap between the average pay packet and the average price of a house.

No comments: